Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day 24-Cambodian Christmas-Lets eat SNAKE!



We had to wake up early and pack all of our things into our backpacks and switch rooms at our posh hotel because they had already had a reservation for our room for that night. By 830am we had transferred up to the new room which we liked even better! When I went down to tell the friendly staff we didn't need help moving our bags they laughed at me and said, "Don't you remember us telling you last night you didn't need to switch rooms?"

"Oh my god.... to many vodka redbulls!" I laughed and ran to York telling him our stupid mistake. (It actually worked out in our advantage because we got an even better room).

We made our way to the patio and had another gourmet complimentary breakfast before heading out to the town to buy bus tickets, use the computer and shop. We then made lunch in our hotel and watched a movie about Ankor Wat.

We wished that we had watched the movie before going to see the sights because it was quite informative and made everything more interesting. Angkor Wat was really impressive and beautiful, but as York said, "It is really cool, but 1 day is enough unless you are really into rocks". I agreed, until I understod the history and stories behind it. I would like to visit it again and take some time to just slowly enjoy it, but this time around schedule didn't permit.

Of course we had to take advantage of the roof top pool so waterproof camera in hand we headed to the top. A dip in the pool turned into underwater photo session to jumping/diving photos and I am sure the other guests at the hotel were probably annoyed as we spent the afternoon splashing and yelling, "One more photo ok!" "No, no, just one more!" SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH.... And keep in mind all the other guests are 40+ years old, so cannon balls and jump contests weren't really their cup of tea at this tranquil hotel.

All the hotel sun patio chairs had a orange tangerine towel on them for the guests which inspired me. Hmmmm, I thought. That shade of orange reminds me of the monks robes. PERFECT! So, within minutes, York and I had figured out how to create our own monk costumes and were wandering around the statues trying to figure out how to pose like monks for our next photo session. I think the other guests were confused as I suppose we looked like real idiots or drunks but this was pure sober fun.

At 830 we headed to dinner at the Cambodian BBQ restaurant. We had made a special reservation and comprimised since it would be our Christmas dinner (in Germany Christmas is on the 24th). He wanted to eat weird animals and I wanted to sit on a terrace in a pretty restaurant, so we found a place where he could eat strange creatures while I was on a balcony.

The table was all set up for us and all other people were very jealous I could tell. Everyone wanted our single balcony table on the second story of the Cambodian BBQ, but we were the lucky ones (hahhahah I thought).

Soon, York had a BBQ in front of him with his basket of creepy meats waiting. Kangaroo, snake, alligator, ostrich, and frog meat were seperated in little dishes for him to BBQ. I ordered chicken, but agreed to try all the stuff he ordered. Here is what I thought of each of the meats

Kangaroo- Good, tastes similar to beef
Snake-Creepy to eat, soft texture but not gross kinda like a combination of seafood and beef
Alligator-Just like chicken
Frog-Gross to look at, but really like chicken
Ostrich-Best overall! Good flavor like a nice soft beef.

After dinner, we went back and had a rooftop pool party! Late night swimming and hanging out by the pool was fun and we had a great Christmas! Our last day living the life of luxury.... we made the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment