Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 22-Bangkok to Siam Reap and BEST HOTEL EVER!

6:15 wake up calls are terrible things. Not to mention, they don't come equipped with a snooze function. So at 6:50 I threw all of my belongings recklessly into my bag (which is now overflowing and has things attached at all points), and wandered down stairs to catch the bus to Siam Reap.

The bus was actually a big van with only 5 other people besides York and I. He hates mornings as much as I do, so we both slept until we reached the Cambodia border. When we arrived there we had to fill out multiples forms and wait in some lines, but overall it was a quick and painless border crossing. I had already had my visa to Cambodia, thanks to Robyn and Jay Young, so it was an easy deal for myself.

After we crossed the border we had to take a charter bus to Siam Reap which took about 3 or 4 hours. We finally reached Siam Reap (home to Ankor Wat-8th wonder of the world) and were given a "free ride" to the hotel of our choice by tuk tuk drivers who were waiting outside of the bus.

We had a driver and then a man who sat and talked to us during the journey to a hotel we were interested in (one we had found in the Lonely Planet travel book). The man tried to tell us he would get us a good hotel and then tomorrow would take us on a tour of all the temples. He seemed like a great guy, and was quite funny too!

BUT.... first rule is NEVER trust anyone! Especially, the nice people! Anyway, as we went in to inquire about vacancy for the night, the driver waited outside. I was super annoyed at this point because I had been on a bus, am PMSing, and hate people who don't listen to me. Anyway, I wanted to go and find a nicer hotel for 3 days because York and I would be staying there till Christmas, but he was a bit content with a less than luxury room and so we were arguing about where to stay.

This tuk tuk driver approached me on the wrong day and at the wrong time, and when he said, "Miss you come stay in my friend hotel. I give you good deal!", I started feeling my blood boiling.

I knew his friends hotel would be crappy and I was tired so I said, "Sorry, no please don't ask again."

And of course, the sneaky tuk tuk driver chased me down the street going, "You give me job miss! YOU PROMISE ME!"

A girl on pms who is hungry is not one to be messed with, so at this point I said, "No! I will never give you a job, and stay away from me!"

Now, being a blond haired 26 year old American in Cambodia, I should have known better. NEVER START A FIGHT... but it had already been done. The angry little tuk tuk driver charged at me yelling, "YOU FUCKING! You lie, you lie! Give me job, you already say!"

Thank goodness, I had a 6 foot German boy to stop this crazy tuk tuk driver from attacking me. Granted, I think I could have taken him. He was pretty small, but York calmed the guy down and told him that I was a bit cranky and explained our situation to him and got us free of the danger.

At this point, I was so thankful to have him as a travel buddy and I learned to be more careful and watch my attitude! I definitely wanted a safe place to stay in that night as well, so we wandered the streets and peaked into hotels until York spotted a beautiful, towering yellow building on the corner.
"WOW! That is it!" I said as he tried to convince me against it.

We checked it out and got the best deal I have ever gotten. The hotel room is LAVISH!!! A 7 foot golden fountain in a pool with lilly pads floating, raised terrace to shower on above the pool, high definition TV, balcony, rooftop pool, I can go on and on and on! Screw Ankor Wat, this is way better I thought!

Anyway, we had to go through a rough bus ride and fight, but in the end we are living the life for only $40 a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment