Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day 19-Bangkok-Shopping, palaces, buckets of mojito

We got to Bangkok at about 5 am after the 15 hour journey from Vang Viene, Laos. We were tired and sore from the bus ride, so we basically just wandered the streets with our heavy backpacks until we found something that was decent enough to stay in.

We got a room at a hotel called the Sawaskee Bangkok Inn, which was right off Khaosan Road. The pictures of the rooms looked much nicer than they actually were but we did get air conditioning, HBO, and a hot shower.

We crashed from about 5-10 and then all met up for a brunch on the famous Khaosan Road. It was already a party going there with tons of people drinking beer, playing pool, vendors everywhere and just a street filled with energy. We got some overpriced food, and then I made our plans for the day.

I convinced York and Lars to accompany around Bangkok and check out some touristy stuff before they went off shopping. I had been to Bangkok 3 years ago but didn't manage to do anything other than party, so I wanted to go see the palaces.


We went to the Grand Palace and wandered the streets of Bangkok trying to get things figured out around the city and then the boys headed to do some shopping on their own and I went my own way.


The boys were lucky! Masses of new tank tops, skirts, and cheap sundresses shocked my senses and I couldn't get enough. It definitely required alot of bargaining, but I found that if I stuck to one seller and bought a few things prices were ok.


I went for a run around the city by myself around 5, and found it to be quite difficult, because there weren't any great roads nearby and it got dark quick. On my way back I ran into York and Lars who were heading to Lars hotel. Lar's family was flying in that night from sweden, so he was going to hang around and wait for them.

York and I went to an awesome Lebanese restaurant called for dinner that night and had pitas and delicous hummus. It was called Sarahs restaurant and was a little bit off the main drag, so it wasn't as noisy and expensive as the other restaurants in Bangkok.
The end of the night was a good one for me because it ended with one of my favorite drinks at a cute little outside reggae street corner bar. We got 2 buckets of mojito for only 500 baht and shared those, as we watched the chaos of Khaosan around us. Bangkok is definitely a city that is hard to sleep in.... unless you have 2 buckets of mojito to help you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment