Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 9-Life on Cat Ba

Today I slept in and woke up alone here at Prince Hotel since Robyn had left early for Hanoi. I wanted to take it easy and enjoy my time with a leisurely run instead of pushing myself to exhaustion w/ a trekk or another wild motorbike ride with my hair salon owner/ motor bike tour guide friend.
(But he is wonderful and if you want to meet him his name is Khan and his mobile number is 0914.618308 -0169.30787768 or you can email him at khancatba@hotmail.com)

So anyway after I finally woke up I lounged around for awhile and studied some of my korean books and then made my way out of the comfortable hotel for a lunch at the restaurant/hotel down the street. I sat alone and gazed at the sea while reviewing my korean and waited for the delicious food to arrive. I ordered my favorite dishes (Vege Pho and Stir Fried Veggies) and chatted with the waitress. Soon we became best friends and she and I were taking photos next to the Santa Claus decoration and we were drawing pictures and trying to communicate our life stories. From what I got from hershe is 21 and her name is Hong. She drew some sketches in my travel journal and then laughed at everything I said. We had a good time and she enjoyed looking through my camera and was fascinated that I was studying korean. She taught me how to say a couple new phrases too
Beautiful- Dep Gai
Handsome- Dep Jai
After my nice lunch experience I went back to the hotel and watched music videos for a few hours. My hotel has about 3 channels and they are all strange. MTV only plays bizarre techno songs I have only heard in southeast asia..... although I am starting to love them. The other 2 are terrible movie channels, so I end up catching up on the 3 years I haven't watched MTV for. Finally, at about 5 I decided I had to get out and see something before it got dark.
I set out for a run and went in a new direction than I had been before. I ran along side the limestone cliffs that curved along the bay of Cat Ba. I was surprized when I turned the bath on the cliff because what I saw was truly amazing! It was a beautiful private resort enclosed in hte limestone cliffs!!! I thought that this town was more of just a small fishing port with meager places to stay, but little did I know that there was beautiful, lavish resorts and private beaches! So much for backpacking I thought! I wish I had known about this private resort earlier! hahhahah Anyway, I ran along the beach and wandered over to the road where I kept running and saw signs for another beach. Once again there was another inlet and another AMAZING resort enclosed in the limestone hills of Cat Ba!
Do I really have to leave? I thought as the sun was setting on the island. I could picture myself jogging along the boardwalk daily and then suntanning at the resorts when I was bored. I already have friends (Khan and Hong), so I feel like it is silly for me to leave!
After my jog, I went back to Prince Hotel for a nice HOT HOT HOT shower (which can be a rarity in SE asia). I got ready and did my best to mask the fact that I am a backpacker. What I mean by that is that most backpackers can be identified by some obvious things-backpack, fisherman pants, flip flops, multiple rainbow colored string bracelets, teva sandals... etc. I do LOVE backpacking but to be honest I wish I had packed my high heels because I just am not cool with the 100% flip flop time and baggy non sexy clothing.
So once I got ready, I headed out for dinner, shopping, and finally internet time. As I walked on the street I decided to pick up some gifts for people. I would say what I bought but since the people they are for will probably read this blog I will have to explain what I bought at Halong Bay in a later blog entry! ANYWAY, after that I head to my FAVORITE restaurant on Cat Ba- Greeen Mango. I ordered the Green Mango Mojito and was in serious heaven! It was a mojito with fresh coconut shaving on top and was to die for! Also, I got some thai soup and a side of rice which was absolutely perfect. This restaurant felt like something I would go to in Seattle in a posh neighborhood, but it was literally 1/4 of the price! For my meal and drink I ended up paying under $10 and sat in a completely beautiful atmosphere of dark lights, red walls, asian inspired paintings, and a newly assembled Christmas tree decorated in a blue light theme.
The waiter came and asked me if I was a student and when I responded that I actually was a teacher he was shocked! That was all I needed to be happy today... a compliment from a 21 year old Vietnamese waiter trying to get some... hahahahh Nice try buddy
Tomorrow I leave for Hanoi and I am sad to leave my life on Cat Ba..... I want to stay! All good things come to an end and I know tomorrow will bring new possibilities as well.... Like hopefully a hair salon that can put some fresh blond highlights in this ruddy mess I have going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment