Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 29-Singapore Sights-Merlion etc.

It was a pleasant surprize when we woke up and went downstairs for breakfast. They had informed us that the breakfast was simply going to be a continental breakfast, but it was actually a lavish buffet! We piled on fruit, eggs, cheese, toast, meats and everything we could on to our plates and went to town. I was having a good time watching York complain about the lack of selection of french cheeses, even though he thinks he is just a "backpacker".

The enormous breakfast left us both in food coma for the afternoon. We were starting to enjoy our stay at the Furama Hotel and things were looking up, but it also made it much harder to get out and see the sights.

Finally, at about 4:30 we got out of the hotel and I decided to go on a run around the city while York went to the post office to mail things back home to Germany.

I decided to head up to a park I saw along the way and go from there. It was called Fort Canning, and was an old historical site. I am not too sure exactly on the history of the area, but it appeared to be occupied in th 1800s and had beautiful trails, buildings, an old cannon, and a small cemetary with most of the gravestones showing people had passed away around the 1860s. While I was running through this area, I was also impressed by the beautiful lush greenery and flowers everywhere. I kept feeling like I was in a rainforest and it felt really unreal!

I was truly starting to love Singapore! I realized that yes, Singapore is very hot and humid, but that is also the reason for it's lush greenery and clean air.

I made my way down to the waterfront and along the way took many pictures of the beautiful old buildings such as the Courthouse, and CityHall.
I finally found what I had been looking for though! The famous landmark of Singapore... The Merlion. It is a lion head on a mermaids body and shoots water out of it's mouth. It was alot bigger than I thought it would be and was really cool to see in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment